We’re in a midst of a Pandemic due to Corona Covid-19 Virus and I’ve been doing some research at home in the time of a quarantine and a locked down.
I am not an expert neither a doctor but from my research, diseases and viruses cannot survive in a highly alkaline body. A healthy human body needs about 7.48 PH Level between acidity and alkalinity to maintain a mental, physical and emotional well being.
That's why it's a good thing that all the foods, supplements, herbs, and fad diets that say they "boost the immune system" are pure quackery sold by con artists to gullible people who don't know anything about biology.
The stuff that weakens your immune system are:
1. Sugar, which includes all refined carbohydrates like maida, white rice, packaged foods, table sugar, sweets, ice creams, chocolates, etc. When a sugar molecule and bacteria are encountered by Neutrophils (the most abundant white blood cells in the body), they prefer the sugar of bacteria. So one piece of sweet will make your immune system go to sleep for 6 hours.
2.Stress - this is no philosophy. Stress releases the master hormone cortisol for a fight or flight mode. The body spends all the energy for the task at hand and saves energy from all other expenditures like immunity functions. If you survive a lion only, then you would need to fight a bacteria right.
3.Harmful bacteria in the gut - infection is caused when the pathogenic bacteria enter the blood circulation. But more bad bacteria in our intestine make our health terrible, and our immunity very weak. They also produce toxins that create allergy and even autoimmune disorders in the body.
4.Lack of essential nutrients. In simple terms, malnutrition to whatever extent it may be.
Let us now discuss a few things that make us very strong from inside. Immune boosters:
Sunlight - Vitamin D and sunlight make our immune system very strong. The importance of vitamin D is so high that it protects us from infections, cancer, obesity, bone problems, autoimmune diseases, and every possible problem. We highly underestimate vitamin D. All the statements above are 100% proven by science. E.g., 60% of breast cancers can be avoided by only spending 20 minutes every day in sunlight by women.
Vitamin C - Neutrophils need a very very high concentration of vitamin C around them to fight pathogens. Vitamin C is safe at very high levels of intake also. Humans, like most other animals, could produce Vitamin C. Out of the four genes required, we still have 3. I have personally seen people getting cured of typhoid and other fevers by taking Fruits like lemons and Amla in very high dosage and eliminating immune lowering foods.In many cases, fasting has also shown to boost immunity, especially in the case of cancer patients. Fasting in them leads to the destruction of cancer cells.
Nutrient-rich low calorie natural whole foods.
Probiotics and fermented foods - our body has ten times more bacteria than our cells. Such a word, like the infection, is a joke. The easiest way to keep diseases away is to have more good bacteria to fight on our side. They will compete for food and space and eliminate harmful bacteria. For this, of course, we need to eat food which the good bacteria feed, and the harmful bacteria Don't. That food is fiber.
Seventy (70) to eighty (80) percent of our immune system is in our gut, so to build a better immune system, we need to take good care of our gut. We also need a diet high in polyphenols. These are potent antioxidants that significantly reduce oxidative stress.
The following foods support a healthy gut and provide a variety of antioxidants for your body.
1. Fermented foods are the most trustworthy source of probiotics. You can get 100 times the healthy bacteria from fermented foods that you can from taking a probiotic supplement.
In addition to providing healthy bacteria for your gut fermented foods aid in detoxification;
-heal and maintain the integrity of your gut lining;
-balance your body's pH;
-are natural antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals
-regulate immunity, and make nutrients from food more comfortable to absorb.
Fermented foods include sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, miso, and yogurt (avoid brands loaded with sugar and artificial colors/flavors)
2. Prebiotic foods feed your gut bacteria. They are non-digestible and go through your stomach without being broken down, and they are metabolized or fermented by your intestinal bacteria. Probiotic foods include raw garlic, raw or cooked onion, fresh leek, fresh asparagus, chicory, acacia gum, Jerusalem artichoke, jicama, and fresh dandelion greens. Garlic is also antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.
3. Veggies & Fruits. Eat a variety for a good source of vitamins and polyphenols.
4. Drink good water. Tap water has chlorine, and chlorine kills your beneficial bacteria weakening your immune system.
5. Salmon. Salmon is one of the highest food sources of vitamin D, and adequate vitamin D levels are critical for proper immune health. Better yet get some sun (though this is not technically food). Salmon is also high in selenium, which is essential for good gut health and is a potent antioxidant.
6. Herbs (turmeric, oregano, rosemary, cinnamon, cloves). These all have anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is also excellent for gut health
7. Healthy fats (extra virgin olive oil, avocado, fatty fish, grass-fed butter, coconut oil). Good for gut health. Coconut oil is also an excellent source of lauric acid, an immune-enhancing fatty acid.
8. Black and green tea increase Bifidobacteria. These are healthy bacteria that increase immune function. They are also high in polyphenols.
9. Wine, Coffee, and Chocolate. Of course, this is everyone's favorite. Just be sure to enjoy these in moderation. They are all great sources of polyphenols and significantly reduce oxidative stress.
10. Mushrooms. High in beta-glucans (especially shiitake, maitake, and reishi), known for their ability to enhance immunity.
11. Avoid sugar, gluten, refined carbohydrates, and processed foods. These all harm resistance.